Clendenin Elementary first opened in 1966 as Bassett Elementary. It was then renamed and dedicated in honor of Mrs. Maybelle Clendenin in the fall of 1983. Mrs. Clendenin was born in Duluth, Minnesota but grew up in Missouri where she went to college and became a school teacher. She came to El Paso in 1929 with her husband and began working with the PTA in her son's school. In 1949 she was appointed as an EPISD School Board Trustee. She was reelected several times and served for 19 years on the Board. She was also very active in civic clubs but continued to make time to be involved in the area schools.
Clendenin went through some growth and expansion in 1991 where a cafeteria, library, and two wings of classrooms were added. Today Clendenin services approximately 500 students from grades PreKinder through 5th.